The objective of the Young Artists Program is the opera singer’s professional training and the consolidation of their career.
Normally, the Young Artists Program has a duration of two years.
For the season 2022-2023, activities are due to begin on 3 November 2022.
Classroom and laboratory activities are concentrated in the period between November 2022 and June 2023, while the work experience activities may be extended up to October 2023.
At the end of the first year the Academy may arrange a final exam, following which the Management can decide the admission of the participant to the second year.
The training program is aimed at achieving highly specialized skills and expertise; it is distinguished by a strong integration between frontal lessons and the experience of stage work, in addition to an intensive and structured interaction between the various professional profiles involved. Therefore, classroom training is supported by a significant work experience, through participation in stage-musical workshops, opera productions and concerts of the Teatro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino and partner musical Institutions.
The training program is customized to the needs of each individual participant.
Teaching is entrusted to renowned artists and experienced professionals.
The participants are given the opportunity to attend meetings with conductors, directors and singers of the Teatro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino and to attend all the production phases of the shows on the playbill.
REGISTRATION AND ATTENDANCE FEE AT THE YOUNG ARTISTS PROGRAM
Enrolment and attendance to the Young Artists Program are free.
All candidates admitted to the Young Artist Program are assigned a scholarship of Euro 1,000.00 (One thousand/00) gross per month, with effect from November 2022 to June 2023.
The Teatro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino and the partner musical Institutions may offer the participants title or cover roles in operas and/or concerts in the programs of their musical seasons.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
- to be at least 18 years old;
- not to be 29 years old on the deadline for submitting applications;
- to have attended musical and vocal training at public or private Institutions. In the event that the studies were held with a private teacher, the candidate must provide a written declaration signed by the teacher regarding their maturity and suitability to attend the Program.
The selection is open to both European citizens and citizens from countries outside the European Union.
The application for admission to the selection must be submitted exclusively online (click on the button “Enrol now!” on the top or on the bottom of this page).
The application must be accompanied by the following documentation:
- A digital photograph half-body, format .png or .jpg
- A digital photograph full-length, format .png or .jpg
- Copy of a valid identity document (identity card or passport), format .jpg, .png, or .pdf
- A curriculum vitae, format .jpg, .png, or .pdf
- Two videos (see the below paragraph “Eliminatory: video recordings assessment”)
The applications for admission must be submitted by 14 July 2022, 11:59 pm, Italian time.
EXAMS AND SELECTION DATES
Eliminatory: video recordings assessment
For the eliminatory round the candidate must present video recordings of two different arias. At least one aria must be presented in Italian.
The two video recordings are to be provided by the candidate at the time of enrolment in the selection and must have the following specifications:
- the audio-video quality must be of a good standard;
- the two opera arias must necessarily be recorded on separate tracks;
- the maximum duration of the two arias must not exceed a total of 15 minutes;
- singers must be filmed frontally.
The candidate must make the video recordings available online, through any type of internet platform (personal website, social network, web channels, such as, by way of example, Youtube, Vimeo, etc.). The links to the videos must be inserted in the relevant fields of the application form.
The outcome of the exams will be communicated to all candidates by 31 July 2022. The communication will be transmitted exclusively by electronic mail to the e-mail address provided by the applicant in their application form. No other notification systems will be considered.
Semifinal and final: live auditions
The semifinal and final exams will be held at the Teatro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino, Piazzale Vittorio Gui, 1 – Firenze (Italy), approximately on the following dates:
- Semifinal: from 31 August to 3 September 2022
- Final: 4 September 2022
The exact date and time of the individual convocation to the semifinal will be communicated to each candidate at the same time as the outcome of the eliminatory round.
Candidates admitted to the live auditions are required to present:
- Five opera arias, including at least three in Italian
- A musical piece taken from the sacred repertoire or chamber music repertoire (lied, mélodie, romanza da salotto, etc.)
The pieces will be performed in the original language and tonality, comprehensive of recitative and cabaletta, where required.
In the semifinal the candidate will perform from memory an aria of their choice; the Commission reserves the right to require the execution of additional pieces of their choice from those presented.
In the final the candidate must perform from memory one or more pieces chosen by the Commission from those presented.
The examining Committee will be composed of the Artistic Directions of the Academy and the Teatro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino – Florence Opera House.